Sunday, July 4, 2010

One per Month - June

So I'm afew days late with my June One per Month project, not for lack of trying to have it done in June though!

 
I was flicking through Handmade Home about a week ago trying to decide what project to do for the one per month challenge, when I came across the Family Sweater Hats project.  Perfectamundo - after making the upcycled wool scarflettes I had left over pieces from the jumpers I had used - this project was just perfect for using them up.

So I began the process of attempting to felt the pieces of woolen jumpers I had.  After several goes through my front loader at 60C and then 95C with no success I realised a couple of things.
1. front loading washing machines probably don't agitate the contents enough to cause the felting
2. no matter if the jumper is 100% wool, if it says machine washable on the label it probably won't felt! 



Now I'm no felting expert, since my one and only attempt has failed miserably,
so pleeeeeeeease correct me if I'm wrong.

As I had my heart set on making a sweater hat I decided to use the unfelted wool. 
Of all the three jumpers I had cut up, none of them had remnants large enough to make a single colour hat.  So I plugged in my beloved overlocker, stitched three strips together to make a stripy beanie and seriously, the rest of the beanie came together in about 5 minutes. 
I added a couple of overlocked circles held together with a vintage button as an embellishment and hey presto one fabo new beanie! 


It actually fits my head but looks way cuter on Miss A, my ever willing model.

Hope your weekend has been fabulous, whatever you've found yourself doing
xo

3 comments:

  1. Very cute beanie!

    And
    1. Front loaders do not agitate like a top loader. I know this for a fact as I used to work in laundry product development. This is the main reason the wash cycle in a front loader is longer than in a top loader.

    2. Machine washable wool has been treated to remove the scales from the wool. No scales = no felting. So don't waste your time trying to felt machine washable wool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's completely gorgeous! I have never felted wool so I can't give any helpful tips.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts, you've just made my day!