Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentines Day

For most of my life I have seen Valentines Day as nothing more than a commercial beat up. 

Another day on the calendar, a day like any other.  

But over the past few years it has started to take on some meaning for me.  Rather then a day of romance between giggly teenagers gifting fluffy white teddies, I now see it as a day to celebrate all those around us who we love
 and it is a special chance to show them in some little way. 

I think this way of thinking was prompted when Aimee was in Kindergarten and she brought home a little picture which she had made in class that day, especially for me. 
This year was no exception, both the girls brought home sweet little cards which they had worked on at school yesterday.  They had both let slip in the morning that they would be making me something for Valentines Day so I decided to surprise them with a Valentines Day afternoon tea treat.
I used this recipe for the biscuits (I read the comments and added a 1/4 tsp vanilla extract), with a dollop of simple butter frosting tinted with pink food colouring in between.

It made me so happy to see my girls faces light up when they walked into the kitchen after school and found the table set with a plate each of these.
 
How about you?  What does Valentines Day mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts, you've just made my day!